Children Education Allowance Exemption & Rules | H&R Block

Children Education Allowance Exemption & Rules

Additional Tax Benefits for New Home Buyer
November 17, 2014
Can We Claim Tax Benefits on HRA & Home Loan Together?
November 20, 2014
Show all

Children Education Allowance Exemption & Rules

Education facility provided by employer to employee is treated as perquisite. Following are some key considerations from the point of view taxation.

  1. Amount spent by employer for providing free education facility & training of employee is not taxable.
  2. Fixed education allowance received from employer is exempted from tax to the extent of Rs. 100 per month for maximum of 2 children.
  3. Allowances paid for hostel is exempt to the extent of Rs. 300 per month for maximum 2 children.
  4. School fee paid directly by the employer for employee’s family member is fully taxable.
  5. Reimbursement of expenses paid for education of employee’s family member is taxable as perquisite.
  6.  Education facility provided from the institution owned and maintain by the employer to employee and his family members will be taxable under the following conditions:
    1.  Education provided to employees children:
      1. Educational expenses upto Rs. 1000 per month – per child is exempt from tax.
      2. If value exceeds Rs. 1000 per month – per child then chargeable tax amount will be calculated as follows:
      3. A.
        Cost of such education in similar Institution or
        Institution in nearby locality
        Rs. XXXX
        B.Less: Exempt amount per childRs. 1,000
        C.Less: Amount paid by or recovered from employeeRs. XXXX
        D.Taxable AmountD= A-(B+C)
    2. Education facility provided to family members other than children will be taxable on the basis of cost of education in same institution or in institution in nearby locality. If any amount is paid by the employee, then this amount is     deducted from the cost of education in same institution or in institution in nearby locality, the difference amount is taxable.
  7. Scholarships are tax free when the amount paid is received in a bank account maintained specifically for the purpose of a scholarship scheme. Scholarships paid by the employer are not taxable as perquisite.
H&R Block India strives to blend tax expertise with a strong focus on continually improving the client experience to provide all its clients with an unparalleled value proposition for filing their Income Tax Online.


  1. mahesh says:

    children education allowance exmptions, even if children are born as twin or more, what is rule about it, pls clarify whether only rs 100 per child max of two childern is exempt

    • Ritesh Kumar Singh says:

      yes Rs.100 per child and maximum 2 child for Tuition fee (2400). And for hostel charges Rs.300 for two children is exempt.

  2. Vikas tyagi says:

    I claimed rs 18000 as CEA . tell me about income TeX rebate . I am serving in SSB MHA

  3. louie says:

    Is Day care after school considered as Hostel?

  4. Bilal Ahmed says:

    Can we claim for second and third child’s education allowance instead of first and second child?

  5. Kirti Kumar says:

    Can we not claim for Annual or Quarterly Tuition fees paid in one go? Because, most of CBSE and ICSE schools in India charge more than INR 2400 per month or quarterly basis.

  6. D. Galalbhai says:

    I claimed rs36000 as CEA tell me about income TeX rebate Am serving BSF



  8. lalit kumar says:

    confirm current status of CEA . As i got information now its 15000 per child

  9. Manmohan Singh chaudhary says:

    My one child singel and second or third child twin h tb child education allounce kis ko me legal
    Me railways me hu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *